Become an Academy Mentor
Join an incredible network of next-generation leaders, develop cutting-edge mentoring skills, and enjoy the most rewarding mentee relationship of your career.
- Mentor one of our exceptional Academy scholars.
- Build a life-long network of fellow up-and-coming leaders in tech.
- Become a better manager and teammate with free training in Academy’s three signature mentorship skills.
We welcome a new mentor cohort every quarter. Next up: Winter 2023!
- Apply. Submit your details through the link below, and we’ll be in touch!
- Onboard. You’ll get matched with a mentee, and join our Slack community.
- Mentor for 6 months. We recommend meeting at least once a month for 6 months, but you’ll be able to set your own cadence and many of our mentors choose to continue beyond the 6-month mark.
- Start learning and networking. Enjoy regular training sessions with our Faculty members, and community meet-ups to meet and learn from fellow mentors.
We know that your time is precious. The programme requires a minimum commitment of 2hrs/month, but of course, you can dial this up if you’re keen!
With opportunities to run events for scholars, speak on panels about the issues that matter in tech, or take on another mentee, there are plenty of ways to get involved in our passionate community.Apply Now
Where our mentors work
Learning from other mentors has been really rewarding. I found Academy’s mentoring platform a lot more beneficial to me than other schemes I've been involved inGeorgina Steele Academy Industry Mentor, Engineer at Tractable
How is this programme different?
Academy’s Industry Mentorship is a programme where you’ll learn how to foster diversity in tech through mentoring. You’ll be helping new junior engineers in their transition to industry – 65% black, asian or ethnically diverse, 52% identify as women, and 25% come from socioeconomic disadvantage.
Your mentee will be unlike any other you’ve worked with before:
- Selected as one of the top 0.5% for emotional intelligence, IQ and drive
- Trained for over 600 hours in technology and leadership skills by expert faculty
- Passionate about breaking into a new industry and eager to learn and grow
Who can join our Industry Mentor programme?
We are looking for rising stars, we think that successful applicant will meet most of the following:
- You’ve been in the workplace for 2+ years
- Your scope of responsibility is growing and you’ll benefit from levelling up your leadership skills
- You lead with empathy and enjoy nurturing early career talent
- You share our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and empowering the next generation to break into tech
- You’re motivated to be an active member of our mentor community
How do I join?
We’ve made the mentor application process as simple as possible to create a seamless application and onboarding:
- Apply: Submit your application through our website
- Interview: Meet the team for a short interview if it looks like the right fit
- Onboard: Join a quarterly cohort of new mentors, attend our three signature training sessions in core mentoring skills and get ready to start the journey with a mentorship kick-off meeting
- Match: Academy matches you with a scholar based on your background, values, interests and for complementary skills
- Mentor: Start your 6-month mentoring journey with your mentee
How long does the programme last?
Academy’s Industry Mentor programme is a 6-month mentorship journey. In those 6 months, you should be able to schedule 1:1 sessions with your mentee, attend all onboarding and up-skilling sessions, and opt into quarterly community events.
What should I expect to have achieved after the programme?
By the end of the programme, you should expect to embody our three pillars of a successful mentor:
- You are a Buddy: You create a safe space for people to share what they’re thinking and feeling
- You are a Coach: You empower people to find their own solutions and be accountable
- You are an Expert: You guide the learning journey as a technical mentor
What do I gain from joining this community?
- What do I gain from joining this community?Our mentors benefits from a wide range of community events and activities organised by Academy and other mentors:
- Mentor Meet-ups: Quarterly IRL sessions bringing scholars and mentors together to learn and grow as a community (starting summer 2022)
- Mentor Spotlights: Opportunities to share your expertise within the mentor and scholar community once you’re matched with an Academy mentee
- Mentor Networking: Regular virtual open sessions hosted by and for mentors to get to know each other, connect and navigate their mentorship journey together
What do people think of our programme?
We’ve gotten great feedback from all mentors and mentees that have joined our programme in the past:
- 100% mentors agree their relationship with their Academy Mentee is personally rewarding
- 100% mentees agree their Academy Mentor has helped them learn and grow
Do I get a certificate of completion?
Yes! Once you complete your 6-month mentoring journey, the Academy team will send you a certificate of completion that can be shared in all social media platforms.